Start taking precautions today to prevent unsightly under eye bags in the future! Once you have them they are virtually impossibleto get rid of. If you have a family history of bags under the eyes (mom, dad or grandparents have them) or you wake up with puffy eyes, now is the time to take action.
Bags under the eyes are a result years of puffy eyes, lifestyle and environmental damage and heredity. As we age the connective tissues beneath our skin start to breakdown and are not as replaced as quickly. Collagen is one on those proteins essential for keeping skin smooth and plump but production of it slows down over time. The result; thin baggy skin around the eyes that readily shows fluid build up and purplish veins forming dark circles beneath our eyes.
Here are a few simple things you can start doing now, today, this minute to ward off unsightly eye baggage:
- Get your allergies under control. Find the right medication and take it religiously to avoid swelling of the delicate tissues around the eyes from excessive tearing due to allergies.
- Don’t smoke! Quit smoking! For many more health reasons than avoiding eye bags, permanently pass on the puff as of today. Cigarette smoke inhibits circulation and fills your body with toxins that weaken tissues. The skin around your eyes is delicate and one of the worst areas of your face to be effected by smoking.
- Sleep with your head propped up on a couple of pillows so that it is higher than your heart. This helps with proper fluid drainage. Sleeping on your stomach causes bodily fluids to accumulate in your facial tissues and puffs up your eyes.
- Overhaul your late night noshing. Salty foods and alcohol are the worst for you skin when consumed right before bed. The salt causes you to retain excess water and alcohol is dehydrating. Dry thin skin around the eyes easily shows fluid build up.
- Use a cream fortified with vitamin C, and cooling agents like cucumber and aloe vera. Bonapiel’s Vitamin C Eye Cream has all three of these ingredients that will not only reduce eye puffiness, but helps diminish the look of dark circles, smooth out wrinkles and stimulate collagen production.
Other tips that can provide a temporary fix to under-eye bags and prevent permanent ones in the future are:
- Placing a cool eye mask over your eyes. You can find the ones that can be kept in the fridge for instant relief. In a pinch a bag of frozen corn or peas will do the trick.
- Splash your face with cold water, then drink a big glass of it. Hot water dilates vessels letting more fluid in. Cold water restricts them. Drinking more encourages your body to flush fluid out instead of retain it.
- Get some exercise (a brisk walk will do) to improve circulation and flush the fluids out of your face.
If you have a tip or trick to instantly reduce eye puffiness please share it!